Terriers Hoist Beanpot; Harvard Last

Huskies Nip Icemen, 6-5

By Bruce Schoenfeld

The dog Days are back in Boston hockey.

The Boston University Terriers, powered by two goals from tournament MVP Tom O'Regan and acrobatic goaltending from sophomore Cleon Daskalakis, won the 30th Beanpot Tournament last night, defeating Boston College, 3-1, in the finals before a packed house at Boston Garden.

The championship, a record-setting 12th, capped the recent resurgence of the area's traditional powerhouse, a losing team for the past two seasons after 15 straight years of playoff berths.

The Eagles, who have now lost in the finals for four consecutive years, opened the scoring at 3:51 of the first period, when a spectacular individual effort by senior captain Billy O'Dwyer resulted in a Jim Herlihy tipin.

It was O'Dwyer again moments after, swooping in during a four-on-three situation with a shot on goal, but Daskalakis--as he did all night--came up with the big save.

At 13:05, after four minutes of non-stop action, the Terriers tied the contest. Sophomore winger Mark Pierog rebounded an O'Regan shot and sent it goal-ward, and the junior from Cambridge directed the puck past Bob O'Connor and into the net.

With less than two minutes left in the period. Pierog unleashed a twirling wrist shot on goal with O'Reagan as a screen, and it beat O'Connor to the short side for a 2-1 B.U. lead.

That score held up until O'Regan put the game away at 15 of the final period. In between, both Daskalakis and O'Connor tended goal flawlessly, each stopping a dozen chances, each shifting the momentum back to their squad.

No save was better than Daskalakis' heist of an O'Dwyer sot at 9:32 of the second period. B.C.'s senior captain, who will have to live with the disappointment of four losses in Beanpot finals during his remarkable career on Chestnut Hill, burst in on a breakaway, deked once and back handed it to the goalie's glove side.

Daskalakis, already on his knees, deflected the puck just inside the near post. The save rocked the Garden and gave the initiative back to the underdog Terriers, who pelted O'Connor with a shot seconds later.

With time winding down and the score 3-1, B.C.'s Len Ceglarski pulled O'Connor in favor of an extra skater, but B.U. refused to allow a shot on goal, and when play stopped for a face-off with 11 seconds remaining. Terriers on the ice and on the bench raised their arms skyward.