University's Semitic Museum To Re-Open After 40 Years

By Lavka Bractiman

Harvard's Semitic Museum, closed to the public for 40 years, will re-open its doors to museum goers on April 5 with an exhibit of ceremonial objects from a pre-World War II Jewish community in the Polish city of Danzig (noss Gdansk)

A fundraising auction of art and antiques in November, 1981, part of a larger effort to raise funds for the re-opening, elected a "wonderful response" from the community and the University. Nitza Rosovsky, coordinator of the exhibit said yesterday. Rosovsky declined to disclose the amount of money the museum has raised.

Preparations and negotiations for the museum's re-opening began in 1970, after anti-war demonstrators detonated a bomb on the tool of the Divinity Avenue building in protest of the use of the building by the Center for International Affairs

The bomb's destruction uncovered an unparalleled collection of 19th-century Near last photographs packed away since the early 1940.

Recent museum symposiums have drawn the attention of academics from the Mid-East who are interested in preserving the photographs to use in archeological restoration projects

The Semitic Museum has had a history of financial difficulties since its founding in 903 and currently has no endowment, Frank Moore Cross, director of the museum, said yesterday, adding the longstanding weakness in the Near Eastern Language and Civilization department helped explain the fiscal problems

No Sheiks Then

"At the beginning of the 20th century, Harvard University was a New England college for a New England elite," Cross said "Happily, we are beginning to see the growth and development in this area which should have taken place many years ago at Harvard," he added.

Following the Danzig exhibit, the museum is planning an exhibit for next fall of early photographs of the Near East, and an exhibit on early Islamic inscriptions from the 8th and 9th centuries to open in January 1983

Rosovsky said the Danzig exhibit had special meaning for her because her husband. Henry Rosovsky, dean of the Faculty, was born in Danzig and the "story of the exhibit is a story of Henry's family and their lives."

Military Victors To Salviatorum Leftists Match with the Anti Imperialist Contingent Mat 27 in Washington D C Bustickets on sale now For more into call the Spartceus Youth League at 492 3928 (evenings)

Theatre Double Bill "The Lion in Winter" at Dunster House and "A Man for All Seasons" at Mather House are offering discount double tickets available at IICTO and at the door of each show

New Surrealist Work by Julian Londa. At Harvard University March 14-28 Tichnor Launge in Boylston Hall Hours Mon Fri, 9 a.m. 6 p.m.

Currier House Music Society presents the Cambridge Chorale in a convert of Purcell and Holst Sunday, March 21 Fishbowl Currier House 8 p.m Reception to follow

Military Victory to Salvadoran Leftists! Film Revolution of Death and eyewitness account slide show by Tom Januta last Peace Corps voluneer to leave El Sulvador 7:30 p.m. March 17 in Emerson 305

The Radcliffe Union of Students meets every Wednesday night at 7 p.m. 4th floor of I amont.