CHUL Establishes Race Relations Committee; Group Will Assess Attitudes, Help Foundation

By Thomas H. Howlett

The Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL) yesterday established a student-faculty panel on race relations only five days after a student referendum which approved an entirely new form of College government for next fall.

The new sub-committee, which will meet until CHUL dissolves to makes way for the new Undergraduate Council, is designed to "look at how race relations have been handled over the years and, in particular, this year with the new Race Relations Foundation and the rejection of minority representation in the construction,' said Victor G. Freeman '84, who heads the CHUL student contingent.

Some CHUL members expressed concern that the new sub-committee's work might overlap or conflict with the efforts of the Race Relations Foundation, a planning group formed last year and headed by S. Allen Counter, associate professor of Biology.

Several campus minority organizations protested the new constitution because the drafting committee bowed to pressure from the faculty and removed a provision guaranteeing minority representation on the Undergraduate Council.

Although Counter pointed out at the meeting that there were already student groups confronting the problems of race relations at Harvard, he added "I'd he happy to put you to work."

Epps Expresses Support

Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, said. "I think it [the committee] could supplement the work of the Foundation and provide an opportunity for us to explain what we've been doing and get some help."

The decision to form the committee came at a lengthily meeting with a surprisingly full agenda despite CHUL's lame-duck status. About 65 percent of students voting in a referendum last week approved the new Undergraduate Council and its smaller student-Faculty committees.

CHUL also endorsed a statement supported by several campus groups which have urged the Faculty to "recognize the problems of sexual harassment and review and publicize the procedures for dealing with it.'

In other campus business, the interim Student Assembly yesterday received formal approval for an April 9 dunce at the Freshman Union, featuring the local rock bunk Human Sexual Response.

Tickets for the concert will be sold in dining halls this week and will cost $4.

Faculty representatives so the new committee have not yet been selected, but several CHUL members predicted that David A. Aloian '49, master of Quincy House, will serve. Freeman said shot at least eight student CHUL members will also work on the new group.