Ivy Editors' Statement

The U.S. Government proposes to send at least $81 million in military aid to an oppressive regime in El Salvador that clearly lacks a broad base of support.

President Reagan's view of the struggle in El Salvador is built on his misconception that every complex foreign policy issue is part of a larger U.S. Soviet power struggle. It is a policy based on the notion that military might makes political right, an assumption which will never lead to constructive solutions in El Salvador.

The United States should withdraw it support from a government which kills and tortures. We urge all Americans to join us in calling for as immediate end to U.S. military intervention in El Salvador.

Current American policies will only prop up a right wing military that has prevented the Salvadorean people from determining their own future. Though the tragic situation in El Salvador will not necessarily be resolved solely by American action, we urge Americans to support the following steps.

1. Eliminate all U.S. military aid to the Duarte regime and secure a pledge from the Reagan Administration to keep troops and advisors out of El Salvador.

2. Support current Congressional resolutions which point the way toward American withdrawal of aid.

.the Dodd-I songas-Batnes-Solarz joint resolution calling for an internationally supervised ceasefire and negotiated settlement in El Salvador, where we believe conflict will never be resolved unless other nations cooperate.

.the Studds bill in the House that would annual the Reagan Administration claim that progress has been made in honoring human rights in El Salvador.

3. Recognize Sunday's El Salvadoran national elections for what they are: a facade of legitimacy for a government whose future is in the hands of a right-wing army bent on eliminating its opposition at any cost.

4. Participate in grass roots demonstrations against U.S. policy in El Salvador. Americans should support local initiatives and attend Saturday's march on Washington to protest the Government's intervention in El Salvador.