Businesslike Racketmen Net First Gain; Sands Leads Team in Rout Over B.U.

With businesslike efficiency, the men's tennis team piled up a perfect 9-0 victory against visiting Boston University yesterday in the first outdoor match of the spring season.

Neither the victory not the too sided score came as a suprise to Harvard Coach Dave Fish, who acknowledged that B.U. had a few strong players but not nearly as much depth as Harvard.

"Still I'm glad we're playing them," he said afterwards. "This is our first match out side this year and Thursday we leave for California to play some of the toughest teams in the country, all of them outdoors."

The sunny skies and windy conditions had little effect on the Crimson's number one player. Howard Sands, who scored the most impressive triumph of the match, heating nationally ranked B.U. Captain Bob Green.

Playing David against the Terriers' 6-ft. 4-in Goliath, Sands Grabbed a convincing 6-3, 6-3 victory and confirmed his reputation as one of the top players in the Last Sandy played a crafty game, neutralizing Green's thundering serves and booming overhead smashes with well placed passing drop shots.

"I believe the essence of everything lies in touch, not in size and strength," said Sands after the match.

In other matches, number-two Warren Grossman took an early lead over B.U.'s Larry Field, lost it and came back to win 6-3, 7-5.

"I didn't have my fastball, my curveball, or my slider out there, I just had my changeup," said Grossman. "I'm just glad I kept my cool, losing a lead like that."

Meanwhile, third singles and Captain Adam Beren handled Alan Leathers so mercilessly that Leathers spent much of the match throwing his racket in disgust.

A mere hour and a half after they started the six singles matches were over and the Crimson had its first win. "You can never be ready enough to play teams like Cal-Irvine, UCLA or USC, said Fish, "but we had to get out feet wet sometime."