Experts Surprised by Guatemalan Coup

Unsure of Effect on U.S. Relations

By Antony J. Blinkes

University experts on Central American were unsure yesterday of the effect of Tuesday's military coup on Guatemala on that country and its relations with the United States.

The officers who ousted right wing president Fernando Romeo Lucas Garcia in the first military takeover in 19 years installed retired general Efrain Rios Monnt at the head of a three-man junta. Rios Monnt ran unsuccessfully for president in 1974.

"No one really knows what's going on This coup was totally unexpected and people in Washington seem very much surprised," Said Sally shelton, a fellow at the Center for International Affairs (CFIA) and formerly deputy assistant secretary of state for Latin America. "All attention has been focused as of late on El Salvador because of next Sunday's elections there."

Little is known about Rios Monnt. Shelton said he is a moderate by Guatemalan standards though "the political spectrum there starts to the right of center."

"There is some hope in that Rios Monnt was endorsed in 1974 by the social democrats. Still, middle of the road figures tend to become conservative in Guatemala and I am extremely special that this represents a change for the better." Shelton added.

The Administration, which backed the Lucas Garcia regime, has not yet said it it will support the new junta.

Under President Carter, the United States halted military and to Guatemala citing alleged human rights violations. The Reagan Administration, the experts agreed, wanted to reverse that ban but had been unable to do so because of the reported excesses of Lucas Garcia's government.