Laxwomen Face Five-Game Philly Tour Ivy Crown, National Rankings at Stake

By John Beilenson

Proved mere mortals while suffering an 11-7 defeat at the sticks of William and Mary last weekend, the Harvard women's lacrosse team must quickly seek both some offense and some defense as it preps for its spring break tour of Philadelphia.

On the line during this five game set will be the Ivy League title as the Crimson face Penn and Princeton, their toughest rivals, on successive Saturdays.

The laxwomen, however, will not get much time for rest and relaxation between these two important contests, as they must face last year's top three teams in the country--Maryland. Ursinus and Temple--on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.

Coach Carole Kleinfelder described all of the upcoming opponents as strong--although in differing degrees.

"Temple should be the toughest game we have," she said yesterday.

"They're really strong, and they're tough all around--offense and defense."

Maryland and Ursinus are "both not as strong as last year," according to the fourth-year coach, but Penn received a very strong ranking--especially on defense.

To beat any of these teams, the still-wet-behind-the-ears Crimson must not make any of the glaring mistakes that marred last weekend's contest in Baltimore.

"We're still moving people around, Kleinfelder commented, "trying some different stuff and hoping the inexperience mistakes work themselves out."

Co-captain and goal keeper Charlotte Worsley spread responsibility for last week's defeat over the whole team--experienced and novice players alike.

"I don't think it was only the freshmen making the mistakes." Worsley said. "There was a little lack of concentration on everybody's part. The upperclassmen have to rise to the occasion."

From all accounts the team has worked hard throughout the week on different facets of the game, emphasizing player-down situations and ball movement from the defense the offense to name two.

"We've worked on our zone on defense, said the former NHL goalie's namesake. "We've been doing a lot of thinking about position. The more you practice, the more you're sure where you're supposed to be."

The defense, which last year only gave 5.4 goals against such tough competition as the squad will face next week, will have to be tough to give the less-sure offense some support.

"We've had some spots of inexperience up front that hurt us," said co-captain midfields Annie Macmillan, who picked up a hat tric in the Crimson's seven-goal effort la weekend.

No Fun in the Sun

Win or lose this week, the laxwomen will still get a good chance to get to know or another and hopefully grow together off the field as well as on.

Although Kleinfelder noted that she has go ten a somewhat lukewarm reception to the definitely lukewarm choice of locale. Harvard academic schedule prevents the Crimson from travelling to part of a three-week lacrosse program in the Sunshine State. But co-captain Worsley isn't complaining.

"I love Philly," the Kirkland senior said "It's a great place to get to know the team. Besides, anything post-thesis is fine with me.