Briggs Cage Roof Springs Leaks Despite Newly Completed Work

By Mark A. Hurwitz

Despite the $2.5 million renovation of Briggs Cage completed last month, a leak has spring in the roof of the facility, creating slippery conditions for baseball and lacrosse teams practicing on the newly laid astroturf.

The building's cupola began leaking after last week's snow began to keep through bracks.

"Water was pouring in. There were people slipping all over the place," complained women's lacrosse Captain Anne MacMillan '82.

Because of budget constraints, planners of the $20-million renovation of University athletic facilities did not include the cupola in their blueprints, which called for the replacement of the old skylights with a copper roof. George Oomen, assistant to the vice-president for administration, said yesterday.

"There was a lot of money spent of that roof, and it shouldn't leak," said Director of Athletics John P. Reardon Jr. '60.

Oomen said builders had discovered the leak before they land the new floor, a wood surface for basketball, which can be covered with astroturf to accommodate baseball, lacrosse and other sports in had weather.

Although the Buildings and Grounds Department sent Oomen a letter assuring him that the leak had been fixed, last week's snow caused the leak to spring again.

In addition to making the astroturf slippery, the water could leak through and damage the unfinished wood floor underneath, Oomen said.

Reardon said that although the exact cause of the leak had not been determined, he was confident that it would be fixed. "If the roof is leaking again, we'll fix it as soon as the snow is off." J. Lawrence Joyce director of Buildings and Grounds said yesterday.