Crews Retain Stein Cup, Biglin Bowl

Heavies Beat Brown; Lights Down Dartmouth, MIT

By Barak Goodman

Walter J. Stein probably had a better fate in mind for his trophy. The Brown alumnus (17) and rowing devotee in 1965 commissioned the Stein Trophy to be given each year to the winner of the Brown-Harvard varsity heavyweight battle. And for 17 years, that trophy has remained in enemy hands, a symbol of the Crimson's utter naval dominance.

But Saturday, on a turbulent Seekonk River in Providence. Brown rowing enthusiasts thought for a while that the prize would finally be retaken. The Bruins' shell, stacked with five of last year's IRA freshmen sprint champions, jumped off the line to a half-length lead and seemed poised to pull away from the Crimson boat.

The lead, though, was deceptive. Harvard had altered its race plan to accommodate 20 m.p.h. headwinds and rolling waves. Starting out at a slow clip of 37 because of what coxswain Dan Simon called "the worst conditions I've ever been in," the Crimson rowed from behind for the first part of the race.

Held Them Off

By the 500-meter mark, Harvard's oarsmen had dropped down to 34 and were gradually moving by Brown's boat. They held a half-length lead for most of the race, withstanding Brown sprints at 1000 meters and again at 1800 meters.

After both boats went to full power, the Crimson opened up a full length and reclaimed the Stein Trophy in a slow 6:51.2. But Coach Harry Parker was unconcerned about the time. "It's tough enough trying to make the boats move in that kind of weather, nevertheless racing them," he said yesterday.

The oarsmen take their traveling road show to New Jersey next weekend to face a powerful Princeton squad which, according to senior Andy Sudduth, "are gearing their whole season to the Harvard race."

On the Connecticut River in Hanover, N.H., the varsity lightweights faced equally bad weather conditions and a stiff challenge from the MIT and Dartmouth boats.

"The races earlier in the day were delayed by huge chunks of ice and wood floating downstream. After every race, they'd have to clean the whole course," said cox Greg Soghikian.

MIT's oarsmen broke at the start to a four- or five-seat lead and held it through 1000 meters. Harvard finally moved through the Engineers' boat with 500 meters to go and won the race with more than a length of open water, capturing the Biglin Bowl for the 24th time in 27 years.

Both the heavyweights and the lightweights are building toward the tougher part of their schedules in May.

Harvard's JV and freshmen lightweights stroked to tough victories over MIT and Dartmouth Saturday, while the freshmen heavyweights dealt a crushing defeat to Brown.

The lightweight crews will open their home season on the Charles against Navy next Sunday.