Laxwomen Destroy Northeastern, 16-2, Set to Confront Bruins Here Tonight

By John Beilenson

After this weekend's shocking 5-3 loss to UMass, it was business as usual again yesterday, when the Harvard women's lacrosse team overpowered cross-town rival North-eastern, 16-2, on the Huskies home turf.

Co-captain Annie MacMillian took charges early for the rejuvenated Crimson, scoring the game's first three goals before feeding Jennifer White and Maureen Finn for Harvard's fourth and fifth tallies minutes later.

Both White and Finn also turned in stellar performances, combining for nine goals and five assists. The win upped Harvard's season mark to 6-3.

"The game was good for our confidence," an ebullient White said afterwards. "The weather was so beautiful--sunny and hot. It was so much fun."

The defense turned in another strong performances as well, allowing just 13 shots to reach keeper Charlotte Worsley.

"The defense was doing some nice things," said Coach Carole Kleinfelder. "They were really helping each other: they're tough to score against."

The hasty rebound after the UMass debacle should help the laxwomen get ready for two key Ivy League games this week. Brown travels to Soldier's Field tomorrow for a 3 p.m. game, and Cornell comes to town this weekend.

The Big Red remain a mystery, said Kleinfelder. But the Bruins should give the Crimson "a good fight," she added. Brown had dropped close decisions to strong squads from URI and Yale. The Crimson will play URI Sunday.

"Brown should be pretty good, but the Ivy games are all important," said freshman Jennifer Greeley, who learned about Ivy Championships during last fall's Women's soccer season. "We're looking for the Ivy title, so there's always pressure," she added.

"Nobody said. Let's get our act together, but we wanted to play a good game, and I think we did." Co-captain Worsley said of yesterday's contest.

THE NOTEBOOK--The Crimson offense pounded the Northeastern goal with 42 shots Francesca Den Hartog notched a hat trick in the game, her fourth three-goal performance of the year.