Harvard's Many Marathoners Relax; Who Are Laxmen 'Lunch and Lurch?'

On The Beat

Harvard super fan JOHN HIGGIN '20, was on hand for Wednesday's lacrosse contest in Providence. A few years ago the Harvard Club of Boston elected Higgin "Harvard Fan of the Year." The freshmen had themselves quite a game in Harvard's defeat of Brown earlier this week. STEVE BARTEN FELDER scored five goals for the second time this year, and fellow Yardlings PAUL GARAVANTE and WILL SOLLEE both had their first tallies of the season... The Brown game was a homecoming of sorts for head Coach BOB SCALISE. Scalise attended Brown as an undergraduate, played lacrosse there, and then was an assistant coach under Cliff Stevenson... Last Sunday's game against Delaware was Harvard Lacrosse Alumni Day judging from the fans who showed up to watch the rescheduled game. Among the spectators were SCOTT PINK and KEN FIRST, Co-Captains from two years ago, and former All-American HAYWOOD MILLER. Pink is at Harvard Business School. First is at Harvard Medical School, and Miller is at the University of Maryland's Law and Business Schools... The men's lacrosse team has some fascinating nicknames for its players. Some of the most interesting ones are "Bart and Barf" and "Lunch and Lurch" for a well-known freshman duo. "Barney," "Dirt Man," and "Five-Oh" Ask them...

The biggest sports event of this week was not even Harvard-related, but an awful lot of Crimsonites did participate in it. That event was, of course, the 36th running of the Boston Marathon, which was won by ALBERTO SALAZAR and CHARLOTTE TESKE, who overcame the heat and the treacherously hilly course to emerge victorious--Salazar with a new Boston record of 2:09... All told, about fifty Harvard undergraduates, graduates and faculty members run in the Marathon, and although the Crimson ran a list of finishers and their times on Monday, a lot of others were omitted because they had out yet phoned in their times. Among the finishers whose times were not published were BRUCE IVES '82, 4:50: JOHN KELLY '83, 4:05: CONNIE DAHLIN '83, 4:06: DEBBIE SMITH '84, 3:57: PAUL HEMP (Harvard Law '82), 3:49: WALTER PAULSON '83, 3:38: MARK PAUL '82, 3:38: MARGET LONG '83, 4:15: CORKY MCLEOD '84, 3:50: TIM BECHTOLD '84, 4:30: MIKE SMART '84: 3:32: DANA WARREN '82, 4:30... Kelly commented that part of the reason Winthrop House was so well represented was because tutor RODNEY PEARSON--who ran a blazing 2:35--generated a lot of enthusiasm by putting up signs on the wall and being helpful. If the Winthrop turnout is any indication of Straus Cup power, the "Throp has this year wrapped up easily... In the Day After Department, junior KATHY DAVIS--who ran a 3:30 marathon--reported that she was having trouble walking downstairs and the profusion of blood blisters on her feet precluded wearing shoes. Brother MATT DAVIS '85, who collapsed in the middle of the race for half an hour then finished in 4:15, said Thursday, "I'm ready to go again"...