Keynote Speech Highlights 3rd Gay Awareness Day

By Mark A. Hurwitz

The day-long program of discussion and film for the third annual Gay and Lesbian Awareness Day (GLAD) ended yesterday with a well-attended keynote speech by Brian McNaught in Emerson Hall.

McNaught, an author, lecturer and columnist told the audience of about 150 of his problems growing up as a homosexual with devout Catholic beliefs.

"I always wanted to be a saint," McNaught said, "but I also had a crush on Tarzan, and I was very confused."

The audience laughed at McNaught's childhood anecdotes and applauded when he told them his response to a woman who cited the Bible's prohibition of homosexuality.

"I won't worry about your soul if you'll stop worrying about mine," McNaught told the woman, a leader of Anita Bryant's anti-homosexual campaign.

Earlier in the day, a panel of nine including a professor and both gay and non-gay students answered questions from an audience of about 130 and participated in discussion workshops on issues such as "family and friends of gays" and "sexual politics and publishing" in the Science Center.

One lesbian, who wrote her question on a note card in order not to be identified, said; "Last night a grey-haired, balding, middle-aged man took my hands in his and said: "I could change you," I could make you love men." I wanted to throw up: But way down deep inside I half wished that he could. "Do any of the people on the panel ever wish to be straight?"

Gay Students Association (GSA) President J. French Wall '83 answered, "I never wished that I was different, but I wished that things were different."

In a workshop on "the experience of being other." Assistant Professor of Government Ethel Klein said. "There is not justice in the world. People are not free. Unless you push the institutions of society, they will not respond."

When asked whether she had encountered any discrimination from her colleagues for participating in GLAD. Klein said. "At first people wondered about my sexuality, but I feel protected because I'm straight."

Although organizers of the event said they were pleased with the open discussion of gay problems, planning committee co-Chairman Michael C. Colantuono '83 said that the turnout was less than in previous years.

"Getting off the ground so late didn't help because we had to use this weekend when everyone is stating to sorry about their workload, and we were competing with mother nature," Colantuono said

Over 500 people attend the first GLAD in 1980 where a student publicity apologized to Lawell I. McGee '80, then-President of GSA, for assaulting him at a gay and lesbian dance.

McGee said yesterday that the tension surrounding the 1980 assault incident was helpful in showing non-gays that homosexuals face real discrimination.

"This year we don't have that hostility," said McGee, adding. "We need that perspective to make people aware of our problems. We cannot isolate ourselves."