States Should Fund Education, Claims Sec. of Education Bell

By Leah D. Rush

States have neglected their responsibility to education because of too much federal involvement in the past. Secretary of Education Terrel H. Bell told an audience of about 150 last night at the Graduate School of Education, opening a three-day conference on the role of the federal government in education.

Bell said federal aid to education has allowed the states to avoid spending their own funds for education, adding that in his and the Reagan Administration's opinion, the states have the capacity to pay for their own educational programs without federal assistance.

The role of the federal government is to provide "advocacy and constructive criticism, "Bell said, to help states and localities take responsibility for their own school systems by providing information about educational programs that have worked elsewhere. Explaining federal budget cuts in education. Bell said. "You can be filled with love and compassion and still be tough-minded and tight-fisted."

A group of 10 students representing the Coalition for Student Aid picketed outside Longfellow Hall, where Bell spoke, to protest proposed federal reductions in financial assistance.

Prolessons at the Ed School are concerned that with fewer funds and in light of the states poor record in upholding civil rights, equal opportunity in education will be harmed.

"It's distressing to put responsibility on the states since they haven't provided enthusiasm for helping the disadvantaged, "Rosemary C. Salomone, assistant professor of Education, said after the speech.

Charles V. Willie, professor of Education, said earlier in the week that the Department of Education has become less concerned with enforcing civil rights legislation, adding that "the states will find other priorities."

Bell said that while the federal government should gradually diminish its aid to the disadvantaged and enforce civil rights legislation only "as a last resort," it should continue to provide funds for research in universities.