The Sports Cube Annual Baseball Trivia Quiz

It all started when a bona-fide superstar. Andy Messersmith, landed a ton of money as the first free agent. Soon every all-star from Vida Blue to Dave Winfield wanted a million dollar contract. It wasn't long before everybody--scrub, manager, and batboy--wanted his share of the megabucks.

So it's about time that we fans start demanding the money we deserve--but it is not that easy. Before you collect your million dollars, you have to prove you are competent in baseball knowledge. After all, you can't win in arbitration without some statistics to back you up.

1. Speaking of contracts, who was the first post-1900 player to challenge there-serve clause?

2. Since 1900, 10 players have struck out more than 300 batters in a season. Take one point for each flame thrower named. A bonus of 3 if you can name the first post-1900 pitcher to accomplish this feat.

3. Name the only switch-hitter to collect at least 100 hits in a season both right-handed and left-handed.

4. From the Morbid and Tragic Dept.:

a) Who killed Ray Chapman with a pitched ball?

b) Who smashed Herb Score in the face with a line drive?

c) Who effectively ended Dizzy Dean's career with a line drive smash that broke his toe? (Hint: it happened in the 1937 all-star game.)

5. Five teams currently have two or more former MVP winners on their roster. For 10 points, name four of the five, and the players.

6. Name the only pitcher to win more than 25 games in a season and NOT win a Cy Young award.

7. Since 1961, players from the Minnesota Twins, Boston Red Sox and Kansas City Royals have won every single batting title except one. Who broke this streak, in what year and for what team?

8. Since 1971, 15 pitchers have won the Cy Young Award. Only two of these pitchers are not pitching today. Name both for 10.

9. During his prime, this player was unquestionably the best fielder at his position in the game. He has won more Gold gloves than any other active player--who is he?

10. In 1972. John Hiller was named Comeback Player of the Year, why?

11. Most people believe that the age of the Iron Man pitcher passed away early in the century, but in the 1970s there were two pitchers who completed 30 games in a season, and two more who pitched in over 370 innings. Ten points for three out of these four modern day Iron Men.

12. Ivy League Question (required in all Ivy Trivia quizzes): Name the only, two Hall-of-Famers who went to Columbia University.

13. In his first six seasons this slugger led his league in every offensive category except walks and triples. Over this six year span he averaged over 200 hits. 115 runs, 120 RBIs a season and batted 359, better than any other player in history over this same time span. Yet he is not in the Hall of Fame. You've got 10 points for his name and five more if you can name what other records he holds.

14. For an easy 10, name the major league ball park with the longest distance from home plate to the centerfield wall.

15. We all know Mickey Mantle suffered from the debilitating bone disease, osteomyelitis, but can you name the all-star right fielder who also suffered from the disease? (Hint: He was a contemporary of Mantle's)

16. Name the first player to pitch in more than 90 games in a season.

17. Two pitchers have pitched no-hitters in both the American and National Leagues. Five for each hurler.

18. For another easy 10, name the batter with the highest batting average who is not in the Hall of Fame.

19. Who gave up Hank Aaron's 715th home run? Bonus of two points if you know what Hank and his nemesis had in common.

20. Name the first expansion team to have a winning season.

21. Believe it or not. 1980 was not the first year the Detroit Tigers went on strike in the middle of the season. When did the first strike occur and why?

22. Does anyone remember the player who drove in the most runs in his rookie season? (Hint: He was the last person before George Brett to average more than an RBI per game.)

23. Name the only player to play for both a World Series Champion and a NBA Champion--both of his teams won in the same year.

24. ________________________ retired 41 straight batters to break the record of 38 held by ______________________. (Five points for each blank)

25. Who was the batboy for the '66-'68 Orioles?

26. Total Failure Dept.

a) Name the player with the lowest batting average in one season-with more than 500 at bats (5).

b) How about the player with the most at bats with a .000 B.A.? (5)

27. Name the other Mormon on the Toronto Blue Jays besides the since retired Danny Ainge. He is father of the famous line. "It's not easy being a Mormon in the Major Leagues."

28. There have been four pitchers who have won MVP awards WITHOUT leading their league in wins. Can you name them?

29. How many pitchers have won 20 games in a season without pitching 200 innings?

30. One final one for all you old-timers. Who was the last batter to drive in more than 100 runs with less than 10 home runs?