Adams House Master Kiely To Take Sabbatical in China

By Peter J. Riley

Robert J. Kiely, master of Adams House and professor of English Literature, will go on sabbatical next year to teach at the University of Sichuan in Chendu in the People's Republic of China.

House members at dinner last night received a letter from Kiely informing them of his plans and naming Richard E. Kronauer, McKay Professor of Engineering, and his wife Joanne as acting co-masters.

Kronauer, who served as interim master in '76-'77 when Kiely was on sabbatical in Cambridge, England, said yesterday that he had greatly enjoyed the post and was looking forward to returning.

Kiely, who has taught several popular undergraduate courses in contemporary and Victorian fiction, was invited by the University of Sichuan to instruct English-speaking Chinese teachers and professors in the history and literature of England and America.

Kiely said Monday that he hopes his year in China will represent the beginning of an important cultural exchange between the two universities.

"It is essential, if we are to ever understand each other, to not be so ignorant of each other's cultures," said Kiely. Appreciating a country's literature is one way to reach this understanding, he added.

Kiely said he expects to remain in China for seven or eight months and then hopes to travel to Israel to teach for two months at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.

Though he has no formal research plans Kiely will keep a journal of his experience. "I have always been interested in the Orient," he said. "My whole family and I are very much excited about this opportunity to go there."

Kiely will be accompanied by his wife and associate master, Jana, and three of his four children, Mrs. Kiely, who teaches scripture at Newton County Day School, plans to teach French Literature at the Chinese university. The children will continue their education at schools in Chendu..