Letter on Homosexuals Angers GSA Members

By The CRIMSON Staff and Wendy L. Wall

Members of the Gay Students Association (GSA) yesterday responded angrily to a letter written by the director of the Center for Behavioral Sciences and said they plan to circulate a petition condemning the letter and asking Henry Rosovsky, dean of the Faculty, to conduct an investigation into the policy and practices of the Center.

The letter, written by Edward L. Pattullo and published in this week's Independent, states that the causes of homosexuality are unknown and adds. "If it is environmentally determined it is reasonable for the majority to want to shape society to discourage it. In the absence of sure knowledge, common sense suggests that negative social pressures may keep some who have a choice from adopting a homosexual life. We would think that a good thing."

Pattullo signed the letter, giving his title as director of the Center for the Behavioral Sciences.

Letter

Although Pattullo concluded his letter by saying that he spoke as a layman and claimed "no expert knowledge about the phenomenon of homosexuality." GSA members charged that by including his title Pattullo gave his letter added legitimacy and cast doubts on the policies of the center.

The center coordinates the use of research and instruction facilities for the departments of Anthropology, Sociology, and Psychology and Social Relations.

Pattullo said last night that his letter, written in response to an opinion page article by Michael G. Colantuono '83 published in the Independent last week, represented a personal opinion and not the policy of the center. "I just want to let people know that there are many who share my opinion," he added.

The petition which GSA members plan to circulate in House dining halls today--charges that Pattullo's letter is "contrary to Harvard's stated commitment to diversity a threat to academic freedom and fuel for antigay violence and hatred."

The document also demands that Pattullo "clarify" his position as director of the center, that the center "affirm a policy of non-discrimination protecting lesbians and gay men and lesbian and gay research," and that Rosovsky conduct an investigation of the center and make "specific recommendation" to prevent future cases of anti-gay discrimination.

"We think it's very important that something public come out of University Hall," J. French Wall '83, president of GSA, said last night. "To say things to [Pattullo] behind closed doors won't do anything to change people's impressions created by the letter."

Marlyn M. Lewis, assistant dean of the College and the GSA's administration liaison, said last night that although Pattullo was probably expressing a personal opinion, his use of his title created a "sticky wicket."

The GSA might be able to press its case on the grounds that Pattullo's letter violated the statement of the Faculty on gays circulated by Rosovsky last spring. Lewis said, but she added that she did not yet know if the administration would take any action.

GSA officials said last night they will talk to the chairmen of three departments whose work is coordinated by the center, and added that a number of GSA members plan to write Pattullo to complain about the letter