Parcel 1b Construction to Begin Soon

Complex Will Include Housing Offices, Hotel

After years of disputes with neighbourhood residents, developers of the land behind the Kennedy School of Government are finally planning to begin construction this summer on what will be the largest commercial and residential complex in Harvard Square.

The land, known as Parcel 1b. formerly served as the site of MBTA carbarns and was once slated to house the John F. Kennedy Memorial Library. But a coalition of neighborhood groups fearing increased congestion in the Square forced the library project out of Cambridge--and onto Boston's Columbia Point--after prolonged negotiations.

Resident's were also unhappy with the original plan for Parcel 1b presented in 1979 by Carpenter and Co. of Boston, which called for the construction of two massive office towers that one local activist compared to "two Holyoke Centers."

But when Carpenter and Co. revamped its blueprints last September in an effort to cut the traffic generated by the complex in hall, residents agreed to drop several lawsuits that could have stalled construction, according to opponents, for up to 60 years.

Carpenter's current proposal calls for a $60 million, 550-000-square-foot retail, hotel office and condominium complex that includes an underground parking garage with about 700 spaces.

The new design, based on a quadrangle approach, includes housing along the Charles River, office space on University Rd. and a hotel with retail stores on the ground floors on Bennet St. next to the Kennedy School.

Parking for the new business center has been a sore spot with local merchants and residents, particularly because of existing congestion in the Square and because of construction of Harvard's $25 million residential and commercial University Place project on Mt. Auburn St. across from the post office.

Construction on the University Place site, previously used as a parking lot, began last week. When the Parcel 1b work gets under way this summer, the Square will have temporarily lost a total of about 700 parking spaces.

But representatives of the Harvard Square Business Association and other merchants were unsuccessful several months ago in their attempts to secure additional parking with city council aid.

More Parking

Harvard has agreed, however, to allow the business association to use the current surplus in the Business School parking lot for employees and customers of the Square, and the association plans to operate a shuttle service across the river.

Several other relatively small obstacles remain before Parcel 1b construction can begin Carpenter and Co. must still receive technical approval from state authorities and arrange minor street changes around the project to further decrease projected traffic congestion.

But Richard Friedman, who is overseeing the project for Carpenter, said this week that after years of major difficulties, the current technicalities are "nothing abnormal" for development of a similar size.

"We're in very, very good shape," he said, adding, "We'll be underway fairly quickly.