Watson Places in NCAAs; UCLA Slips By Texas in Relay

Freshman diving sensation Dan Watson placed fifth in the one-meter diving competition at the NCAA Swimming Championships in Milwaukee last week, while classmate Dave Barnes placed 12th in the 400 individual medley to give Harvard 18 points and 21st place.

Four other Crimson aquamen--Jeff Mule. Captain Ted Chappell. Mike Miao and Courtney Roberts--also made the journey, but none of them placed.

Watson's fifth-place finish in the one-meter driving was the best performance of a freshmen in the event. Indiana senior Rob Bollinger won the event thanks to the absence of perennial diving champ Greg Louganis from Miami.

Watson was place with his performance: "I was consistent but didn't do anything great."

In the three-meter competition. Watson had a few more difficulties. He dove poorly in the preliminaries and found himself in 15th after five-dives. "I had a lot of making up to do," Watson said. He finished seventh.

The meet became a battle between defending champ Texas and UCLA. UCLA could not claim victory until the very last event, the 400 freestyle relay, in which the Bruins edged the favored Texas team.