CARP Campaign

MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson

We read with interest your story on CARP's new campaign to woe Harvard students out of their immoral love nests and into Rev. Sun Myung Moons outstretched arms. Our eyes widened the most though, at CARP's methods and at the organization's new campus leader, Richard Panzer.

We represent you see. On organization called SCROD (Society for the Collegiate Research of Omnicosmie Dimensionality) SCROD's purpose, at its inception two year ago, was to mock the Yale chapter of CARP to send them the message that Yale students saw right through their various schemes and escapades.

At the time CARP had a very high profile on campus due in no small part to the vocal protestations of Panzer, then Yale CARP leader, against all forms of leftist thought and we suppose, thought in general.

When they first arrived on campus. CARP members, who all, coincidentally, happened to be members of Rev Moon's Unification Church, immediately registered CARP as an undergraduate organization. They then went about the business of drawing attention to themselves through various stunts. These were apparently designed to make CARP into a moral and popular force on campus, once that occurred, pressurized students could easily be drawn in and absorbed by the Unification Church's paternal comforts. That wasn't quite the way it worked, though The Moonies' escapades were inevitably transparent and usually laughable attempts to exhort students to take up right-wing anti-Soviet causes. On one memorable afternoon, a CARP member dressed as a Russian tank spent a good two hours chasing a mop-wigged colleague (identified as a peace-monger) around a lawn at the center of campus, in an elaborately choreographed ideological skit. On sunny days, CARPies would set up a card table with assorted Moon literature at a central campus transit point Nearby, an associate would lecture to passers by while scrawling compiles and incomprehensible theological diagrams on a portable blackboard. They always managed to keep talking, though students rarely stopped to listen.

Annoyed and angered that Reverend Moon was preying specifically on the occasionally idealistic, always pressure racked Yale student we decided to form SCROD Using out own theology, religious dogma, diagrams and publicity stunts, we staged an ideological holy war, hoping to dissuade with humor any student who might feel drawn to join the Moonies.

CARP left the semester after SCROD reached its height in popularity. While we obviously can't take full credit for driving them off, we do claim a share of it.

Now CARP is gearing up at Harvard The political tack failed at Yale, love, sex, and morality are apparently the new directives from on high While we give some credence to the ability of Harvard students to see the guile through the innocent acts of CARP underlings, perhaps a chapter of SCROD in Cambridge wouldn't hurt. It helps notify CARP how ridiculous all their plays and plans really are and shows them that they just can't win for so we like to believe). CARP and Rev. Moon offer students the opportunity for love without responsibility, for a loss of freedom, will, and personal choice and direction. They should not be allowed to make such offers without protest.

Anyone interested in forming a Boston chapter of SCROD (a highly appropriate association) can write to us at 2477 Yale Station, New Haven. Ct. 06520. Give it a shot. John McQuaid, Ben Norris   Co-founders, SCROD;   Rob Glaser   Disciple