Softballers Prevail

Romero Pitches Crimson to 4-2 Victory; Second Game With Bridgewater Called

By Neal Shultz

Two and a half weeks after splitting an opening double header against the Bridgewater St. J. V., the Harvard softball team got its revenge in a rematch doubleheader, whipping Bridgewater 4-2 in the first game at Soldiers Field, dominating the second, which was called early because of rain.

The Crimson's slick fielding, fine pitching and timely, if not awesome hitting keyed the victory and a half and gave notice to Bridgewater that Harvard has improved immeasurably since their previous encounter.

Contrary to the last time out against the Bears, the batswomen committed a scant three errors in the first contest yesterday and played "the best defensive game we've had this year," according to second baseman Alissa Friedman.

Pat Horne made several outstanding backhand stops at third base, turning one into a run saving double play. And although Horne is batting some 250 points below her last year's average of better than 600, her fielding has proved the hallmark of an improved team.

"Pat is the heart and soul of this team." Coach John Wenzell said, "she's a given who we work around."

Pitcher Val Romero also garnered some well deserved kudos from her coach. In the first game she held a team averaging eight runs a game against Harvard to one earned run. Pitching the full seven innings, she allowed only eight hits and stuck out a season high four batters.

To top it off, she started the second as well and seemed certain of notching her fifth victory against four defeats until the umps called the game in the third because of rain.

Offensively, the Batswomen managed only six hits in the first game, but like everything else yesterday, they got it when they needed it.

In the second game, wish the score 1-0 Bridgewater, the Crimson's freshman staringa Larson reached on an error. Firstbaseman LondysBoyer followed her lead by going first on a fielder's choice.

Big Margin

Anne Wilson loaded the bases, reaching on a catcher's interference. Finally, Harvard got its first hit, a single by captain Diane Boseler which drove in Larson.

But it was Friedman who struck the game's biggest blow. Her booming triple followed Boseler's hit, knocked in the two runs the Crimson needed for the win.

Shortstop Mariene Schools summed up well. "We wanted to show Bridgewater we are a far better team than we were."

They did.

The NOTEBOOK--Harvard is now 16 for 25--in games played, that is. Yesterday's rain out marks the ninth cancellation of a Crimson game this year. Yesterday's negated victory was particularly frustrating because the sun came out only minutes after the contest was called. The team goes into Wednesday's game against North Essex with a five game winning streak and a 10-6 record.