Rhode Island Hurler Barber Handcuffs Crimson Nine, 5-0

Harvard Manages Only Three Hits in Loss

By Michael Bass

For the second time the Harvard hitters met The Barber And for the second time they got their bats shaved off.

Throwing nine innings of three-hit, shutout ball University of Rhode Island hurler RonBarber led this team to a 5-0 lather-and-hot-towel job over Harvard at Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon in a non-league contest. The game marked the second straight shutout for Barber against the Crimson as he blanked them 4-0 last year at Rhode Island.

In raising his own record to 5-1 on the season. Barber denied Harvard's bid to climb back up to the 500 mark on the year. The Crimson's record now stands at 11-13 overall.

"Without a doubt that has the best pitched ball game against us this year." said Harvard Captain and designated hitter Paul Chicarello who went oh-for-four. He had a good slider plus he threw strikes. The key to pitching is spotting your pitches and he has putting them where he wanted them."

Harvard third baseman Brad Bauer who went through a fly out and grounders to shortstop before getting a single off Bauer in the ninth agreed.

"He was above everything else accurate Bauer said, "when he threw a bad pitch it didn't miss by much. And he was getting his curveball--which is probably the best one we've seeen all year--over right from the start."

While Barber was limiting the Crimson to three singles (he has a no-hitter in the fifth) his Ram mates has hits in all but two innings, rapping out 14 all together against two Harvard pitchers.

Harvard starter Bill Larson worked out of jams in both the first and fourth innings and had given up just two hits by the fifth frame rolled around. It was then however that the Rams started to deliver.

With one out URI lead-off man Robert Howard delivered his third hit of the day, a single to right. Shortstop Joe Pirrello followed with a single to left sending Howard to third and right fielder Steve Godin produced all the runs that Barber would need singling deep into the gap in right center, scoring Howard.

Third basement Joe Shaker up next lifted a long and lazy fly ball to center which Bruce Weller gathered in. His-throw to the plate. Which was perfect (no bounces), was just a little too late catch Pirrello scoring from third.

Looking Ahead

Larson got out of the inning and then left the game trailing 2-0 as per pre-game plan. Coach Alex Nahigian wants to save him for a start-in one of the two Eastern League games with Council on Saturday.

Lefty reliever John Sorich came in to pitch the final four innings for Harvard, yielding eight hits and the final three Ram tallies.

Harvard's only threat against Barber came in the ninth Chris Schindler pinch-hitting for Gaylord Lyman battled the Ram pitcher to a ful count and then drew a walk only the second free pass yielded by the Barber on the day.

After Chicarello fouled out to the first baseman. Weller hit a drive that URI left fielder Michael Medeiros ran down in deep left center. Bauer followed with his single to center and for the first time in the game, Harvard had two runners on in the same inning.

But when catcher Vinnie Martelli's bid for a three-run homer fell into Howard's glove in deep centerfield. Barber had his second straight shutout over Harvard.

NOTEBOOK: All but one of the Rhode Island hits were singles Pirrello's double to lead off the seventh inning was the only extra-base hit in the game...Rhode Island's record is now 14-18...Harvard shortstop Tony DiCesare made a couple of sparkling pick-ups deep in the hole at short...Larson had particulars good control striking out four while only walking one in his five innings, this on the heels of his doubleheader, double-win against Boston College last Friday...Harvard plays UConn in another non-league tilt today Soldiers Field at 3 p.m. Rhode Island, 5-0 Rhode  Harvard   ab  r  h  bi  ab  r  h  bi Howard  5  1  3  0  Chicarello dh  4  0  0  0 Purrello ss  4  2  3  0  Weller ct  3  0  0  0 Godwn rf  3  1  2  1  Bauer 3b  4  0  1  0 Shaker 3b  4  1  1  2  Martelli c  4  0  1  0 Kindregan 1b  5  0  1  0  Allard r1  3  0  0  0 Cartuccic  5  0  2  1  Farrell 1b  3  0  0  0 Miller dh  2  0  0  0  DiCesare ss  3  0  0  0 Raakie dh  2  0  1  1  Rivera if  3  0  1  0 Oullette 2b  5  0  1  0  Lyman 2b  2  0  0  0 Adams if  3  0  0  0  Schindier ph  0  0  0  0 Maderos if  2  0  0  0 Total  40  5  14  5  Total  29  0  3  0

Rhode Island  000  020  300--5 Harvard  000  000  000--0

DP--Rhode Island 1 Harvard 1 LOB--Rhode Island 13, Harvard 4 2B--Pirello SF--Shaker Miller   IP  H  R  ER  BB  SO Rhode Island Barbor (W5-1)  9  3  0  0  2  3 Harvard Larson (L3-2)  5  6  2  2  1  4 Sorich  4  8  3  3  1  2 HBP--By Larson (Pirrello) T--2:29 A--45