Geologist Will Receive Honorary

By Michael W. Miller

The University will apparently confer one of 11 prestigious honorary degrees at tomorrow's Commencement exercises on Francis Birch '24, a retired Harvard geologist

Birch, one of the nation's foremost geo-physicists, yesterday abided by the long standing Harvard tradition of keeping the names of honorary-degree recipients a secret until the moment they are called to receive their diplomas.

"This is all confidential," he said. "It's a lot simpler for me not to talk about it. "Birch refused to discuss the subject further.

Professor of Geology Adam M. Dziewonski said yesterday he had been "given to understand" that Birch will receive an honorary degree, although he said. "It's kind of a secret, and one that I haven't been let in on."

The Nobel-laureate missionary Mother Teresa, who is giving today's Class Day address; Virgil Thomson '22, a prominent American composer; and Doriot Authority Dwyer, first flutist for the Boston Symphony Orchestra, are also apparently on this year's list of honorary degree winners.

In addition, the list reportedly includes a distinguished professor emeritus at the Medical School. Speculation on this recipient's identity has centered on Maxwell Finland 22, a retired epidemiologist.

Birch has been affiliated with Harvard for more than half a century, as an undergraduate, graduate student, junior faculty member, and as the Hoope Professor of Geology.

His chief contribution to the field of geo-physics was the application of methods in high pressure physics to geological problems. Dziewonski said.

Birch is credited with formulating important properties of the earth's deep interior, he said.

In addition, Birch is known for his studies of heat-flow inside the earth of the United States, said Diziewonski.