Bok Asks Five Experts For Nuclear Arms Study

By Paul M. Barrett

Five Harvard professor are writing a book on issues related to nuclear arms as part of President Bok's personal drive to educated the general public on this controversial subject.

Intended for the "concerned but not necessarily informed layman," as one participant put it yesterday, the project is the most concrete result thus far of the University's new mission, which Bok outlined during his Commencement Day address on June 10.

The President has said publicly on several recent occasions that Harvard professors must help guide public debate by making their work more widely available.

But Bok did not return telephone calls to his office yesterday, and one University spokesman said that he will not discuss the activities of the new Harvard University Nuclear Study until August.

The book which was first described by The Boston Globe this week, will be written by Albert B. Carnesale, professor of Public Policy and Academic Dean at the Kennedy School of Government Paul M Dots Mallinck rodt Professor of the Civilization of France Samuel P. Huntington. Dillon Professor of International Affairs; and Joseph S. Nye professor of government.

Each professor is well known for research in areas such as international relations strategic arms policy and nuclear technology. All except for Hottmann have recently head positions in the federal Government.

They also all have associations with Harvard's special research centers in international affairs and arms control and the K-School which are jointly sponsoring book project.

Bok Praised

Huntington yesterday gave Bok all of the credit for organizing the study and praised the President's efforts to 'set forth crucial Public issues as areas of concern for a university.

Bok first approached Huntington and Doty this spring with the idea for a book, and the others were asked to join because "they represent a wide range of expertise and view points," said Huntington.

All of the other professors were out of town yesterday and could not be reached for comment.

Huntington said that he and the others have met periodically with Bok and that they hope to produce an outline by the end of the summer and a finished product "as soon as possible, perhaps this year."

Broad Appeal Sought

"The idea is to seek broad appeal, not to write for the scholar or the government official," said Huntington "We will not emphasize any one argument or take a partisan point of view Our aim is to provide an intelligent framework for this very important debate."

University News Office Directors Deane Lord confirmed that the book will be published by an outside company, rather than the Harvard University Press, so that it will get as wide a circulation as possible.

Another result of Bok's public education initiative will be expanded seminars on nuclear issues for journalists. The panels, which began last month at the K-School, will start up again in the fall.