University Police Arrest Man For Break-In at North House

By L. JOSEPH Garcia

The University Police arrested a Roxbury man yesterday afternoon as he fled from the master's residence at North House after an alleged burglary, the second such break-in at the residence since September.

Michael Tyler, 22, allegedly forced open a sliding glass door in the rear of the residence, located at 46 Linnaean St., Harvard detectives said yesterday. Tyler ran out the front door when a student sleeping in the house was awakened by the noise and spotted the intruder in a hallway.

The student, who asked not to be identified, said yesterday she opened her door on the second floor of the house and saw Tyler carrying a brown bag toward the stairs. She locked her door and telephoned the police, the student added.

Officers responding to the call apprehended Tyler several minutes later near the Quad on Raymond St. He was carrying a camera and some jewelry missing from the house, detectives said.

North House Masters J. Woodland and Hanna M. Hastings are not in Cambridge and were unavailable for comment.

In September, a Cambridge man was arrested for burglary after he smashed a sliding glass door, setting off a silent electronic alarm monitored at the University Police Station.

Mugging

Police refused to confirm if the alarm was on during yesterday's incident.

In another recent police incident, the trial of an Arlington man charged with robbing Ashley Simpson, a summer school student, with a fake pistol begins today at Middlesex County's Third District Court.

Keith A. Supranard is charged with grabbing the summer school student, threatening him and his date at gunpoint, and stealing the student's money and his date's purse in an early morning robbery on DeWolfe St. near Leverett House eight days ago.

Cambridge Police apprehended Supranard on the banks of the Charles River and recovered the stolen property and the weapon--an athletic starter's pistol. Both the student and his date positively identified their alleged assailant, Cambridge police officials said yesterday.