A Proud Day

THE PRIMARY

LAST WEEK'S primary election marked a proud political day for Massachusetts and for Cambridge. The sheer number of voters turning out--a record 1.4 million in the state and 25,000 in the city--served as testimony to the thriving democratic process in the Commonwealth. And the way they voted showed a healthy repudiation of the ills which in recent years have polluted their government--economic insensitivity, cronyism, and corruption.

In dumping Gov. Edward J. King, Bay State citizens showed their impatience with the numerous embezzlement and bribery scandals that have touched his administration, and with his homegrown "supply side" economic debacle that drew praise from President Reagan. By electing L. Scott Harshbarger '64 as Middlesex County District Attorney and Peter Vellucci as state representative over more traditional, long-term incumbents, local voters demonstrated their desire for new blood and a more creative approach to these offices. And, by giving the nod for the Republican gubernatorial nomination to John W. Sears '56, they showed good common sense, for Sears was by far the most experienced and intelligent man in the Republican field.

But while the September 14 contest was a success, much needs to be done before total victory can be declared on November 2. Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) faces a tough fight against Rep. Margaret Heckler (R-Mass.) in a battle forced by redistricting. Long-shot but heavily financed smear campaigns are being waged against Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54 (D-Mass.) and Speaker of the House Rep. Thomas P. O'Neill.

The main race voters should monitor, however, is still that for governor. Former Gov. Michael S. Dukakis, while clearly the liberal in the primary contest, stayed annoyingly vague for the first nine months of the campaign, trading insults and slurs with his opponent, rather than staking out clear positions on the issues. For the problems of crime, unemployment, and local aid, he has offered nebulous formulas without specific solutions. Now that the bitter grudge match between Dukakis and King is over, we hope that the next seven weeks will bring a respectable debate between the former governor and Sears on the real concerns of Massachusetts voters.