Women Spikers Best Yale and B.C., Take Each Opponent to Three Games

By Andy Doctoroff

Saturday afternoon at the IAB, the Harvard women's volleyball team, performing in front a about 100 enthusiastic spectators, downed Yale and Boston College. In both victories, the Crimson went three games with its opponents.

Against the Elis, Harvard began the day's action father sloppily, losing several potential points to shaky serving. At the same time, the Bulldogs delivered potent serves, as the Crimson had difficulty organizing a consistent receiving game.

But after the initial loss, Harvard gained its composure and won the next two games and the match.

Senior Margaret Cheng's 10 point setting complemented by freshman six-footer Anna Collins's frequent display of spiking power baffled both the Elis and the Fagles for the entire day. When Collins rotated into the back line, junior Ellen Schreiber took over as strong hitter and laid down some well played shots.

After a 90 minute break during which B C edged Yale, 2-1 Harvard again scalped the Eagles, 15-8, 11-15, 15-7.

Except for the second game, when Harvard Coach Karyn Altman substituted her starting line to give the second string some substantial playing time, the Crimson avoided making more than a few unforced errors, played aggressively just waiting for B.C. to misfire the hall. In contrast the Harvard's shaky first game against Yale, the spikers served only two balls into the net during the entire B.C. match.

When Altman rested three of her starters for the entirety of the second B.C. game. Harvard fell behind at one point, 14-3. Though the Harvard subs didn't pull out the game, they did manage to overcome their entropic style of play to mount an impressive eight point tally.

Harvard's season record is now a lofty 3-0. The Crimson faces Boston University and Providence College Tuesday afternoon at the IAB.