CUE Editors Disciplined For Summer School Party

By Jacob M. Schlesinger

The Administrative Board this week placed two top editors of the CUE Guide the College's official students course review book on probation because they served alcohol to minors at a party they sponsored for summer school students last July.

Both Joseph P. DiNunzio '84, who was editor of the 1982-83 guide and Peter J. Nanula, who is in charge of next year's book acknowledged yesterday that they received some form of disciplinary probation, Neither has been told of the specific penalties or the duration of the discipline.

The action stems from a party held on July 10, from which four students were taken to the hospital for over consumption of alcohol. The event took place at 8 Present St. the summer lodgings for CUE Guide staff members and was advertised openly in the Yard and in front of the Freshman Union.

Wider Action

In addition to DiNunzio and Nanula seven of the other eight summer staff writers attended the party. All were apparently also asked to submit a written statement to the disciplinary board, describing the party and their specific roles. Three were reached yesterday and refused to comment on their cases.

Dean of the College John B. Fox '59, who chairs the Ad Board also declined to discuss the matter.

The incident may also provoke changes in the Guide's summer set-up. In the past the paid undergraduates, who research write and edit the review of hundreds of Harvard courses have lived unsupervised in University housing.

But Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, said yesterday that next year, CUE staffers may "be housed in a dorm with a tutor."

DiNunzio said that such action may prevent similar problems in the future and maintained that the arrangement "would not affect the book's independence from the faculty."

Party Account

CUE guide members interviewed shortly after the party said they had not heard of any health problems, but University Police re- cords showed that four "inebriated" students were taken to Stillman Infirmary by ambulance that evening.

Police Chief Saul Chalin said that at least two police officers were required to stop the party at 1:15 a.m.

Thomas H. Howlett contributed to the reporting of this story.