Booters Bow to Bruins, 5-3; Brown Captures IVY Crown

By Nick Wurf, Special to the Crimson

PROVIDENCE. R.I.-The Harvard women's soccer team stood in shock on Brown's Stevenson Field Saturday after its 5-3 loss. Nearby the Bruins and their fans were cheering and breaking out the champagne to celebrate the Ivy League Championship.

A Crimson victory would have led to a share of the league title and a probable berth in the NCAA tournament. Harvard now is 2-2 in the Ivies, while Brown finished its league slate at 5-0.

Things might have been different if not for the injury-enforced absence of three Crimson booters. Senior goalie Janet Judge and junior striker Alicia Carrillo have been out since the season opener, and midfielder Inga Larson joined them on the sidelines after Tuesday's tilt with UMass.

The Bruins opened the game with strong offensive pressure and took control of the flow of the game. From the outset it seemed only a matter of time until Brown scored. After 25 minutes of strong Bruin pressure, the Crimson defense faltered. Freshman Lynn Marinello scored off a corner kick by Gretchen Orr. One minute and 22 seconds later Colleen O'Day headed in another Orr corner kick.

In the opening minute of the second half, the Crimson rallied. The team's leading scorer, junior Kelly Landry, booted one in off a Jennifer Grecley corner kick. The score extended Landry's goal-scoring streak to nine games and put Harvard back in the contest.

It took Brown 40 seconds to strike back. Marinello got a beautiful feed from Ellen Bopp and punched the ball into an open net. "The third goal was the killer. Harvard Coach Bob Scalise said after the game. "We didn't tighten up defensively. We were letting them pass."

Any remaining hope for Harvard was lost four minutes later when Marinello earned her hat trick. She decked two flat-footed Crimson defenders and rolled a shot right under freshman goalie Lisa Rowning. Rowning injured her ankle early in the game, but the Crimson's only replacement was JV netminder Mill Vialet. So Rowning played until the final seven minutes, visibly hobbling.

Harvard kept the pressure on, and Landry earned a pair of goals at 32.06 and 6:15 to complete a hat trick and bring the Crimson back, within one. Marinello scored on a direct kick, however, with 1:34 remaining to preserve a Bruin victory.

Despite scoring four goals, the freshman would take no credit for the victory. "The team played well as a whole, "said Marinello. "The balls were placed right in front of the goal for me to knock in."

"It was a good game. "Bruin Coach Phil Pincine said, putting the game in perspective. "We wanted it. Bobby's (Scatise) had some injuries: Carrillo, Larson and Judge. We had some luck this year. I guess it was Brown's year."

THE NOTEBOOK: Harvard has one Ivy game remaining. Yale at New Haven this afternoon. The Crimson should win easily.... Brown outshot Harvard, 22-18.... The Bruins had 19 corner kicks, Harvard just three.