Election Delays

Short Takes

Voting for the Undergraduate Council did not begin as scheduled yesterday at three Houses due to administrative problems.

At Currier and Quincy, tables had been set up for balloting, but at each a candidate requested that voting be postponed because his name was omitted from the ballot, election staffers at the two Houses said yesterday.

A staffer said that at Kirkland the chairman of the House Committee was not given materials to set up the table.

All three Houses expect to begin balloting tomorrow, according to staffers, though none have made any formal plans for an additional day to make up for yesterday.

Voting ends Friday at dinner in all Houses and the Union.

Leverett and Mather also omitted one meal from voting yesterday. Leverett was closed for dinner to make way for a Senior Common Room banquet.

And Mather did not open for voting yesterday morning. Mather coordinator Theodore M. Alper '84 said yesterday that under the Undergraduate Council rules, a House is required to be open four full meals and that Mather will be open all five remaining meals.

In the other Houses, staffers reported normal and steady voting.

Besides electing candidates to office, election results also determine the priority by which candidates may choose the committees they would like to work on, if an agreement cannot be reached among the council members.

In the three Houses where only five candidates are running, staffers at most of the voting tables said they were aware of few, if any, write-in candidates.