NO BOOKS

A Weekly Survey of News From Other Campuses

By John Rosenthal

Dartmouth Student Committee blocked an attempt by a campus entrepreneurs club to reap profits from the sale of textbooks to students at prices lower than those at Hanover's main bookstore.

Steve Nelson director of student activities said the committee which is comprised of students faculty members and administrators denied the club permission to operate their bookstore from the college because they left the ethics of the enterprise are suspect.

The seasons, he added, were "constraints in their constitution, and because the whole idea was a facade for an unnamed third party, which would be supplying the club with the books they needed."

The Dartmouth Entrepreneur club president Robert Melnnis said the bookstore, which would have been the club's major project for this year, was prohibited for three reasons, including fear that the project would upset the balance between the college and the already existing Dartmouth Bookstore.

Mclunis cited inflated retail prices by the Dartmouth bookstore as a major part of the club's incentive for their project. He quoted "The Supplement to Basic Principles of Organic Chemistry" as an example. "The Dartmouth bookstore charged $11.95 for this book at the beginning of the term, but it lists for under $11 retail," he said.

McInnis added that despite the Council's decision the club would find alternate ways to set up their bookstore. He said that another bookstore is needed because the Dartmouth Bookstore is the only one in the area. He added that "Some people even buy their books at the Harvard Coop before they come up here because the prices are so high."