Jets' Fourth-Quarter Rally Produces 31-28 Victory

By From WIRE Reports

Punt return specialist Kirk Springs dashed 76 yards for a touchdown with 2:11 remaining to give the New York Jets a 31-28 National Football League victory over the New Orleans Saints last night in New Orleans.

The return capped a 17-point fourth-quarter explosion that erased a 28-14 deficit and deprived the Saints of their first-ever Monday night victory.

New Orleans' last hope faded when place-kicker Morten Andersen was wide left with a 51-yard field goal attempt with 19 seconds remaining.

Richard Todd hit wide receiver Jesome Barkum with an 11-yard touchdown pass just two minutes before Springs' touchdown. Pat Leahy kicked a 38-yard field goal just 15 seconds into the final period.

The Jets got seven points in each of the first two quarters--the first on a 34-yard interception return by linebacker Lance Mehl and the other on a one-yard plunge by Marion Barber.

New Orleans got two touchdowns in the first quarter and two touchdowns in the third to lead 28-14 going into the forth period.

George Rogers rushed for 84 yards and two touchdowns for New Orleans, one on a 14-yard run three minutes into the game and the other on a two-yard run in the third quarter. Hokie Gajan gained another 113 yards for the Saints. The Jets had not allowed any running back more than 50 yards in their last seven games.

Kenny Stabler hit tight end Hobie Breaner with a 38-yard scoring pass in the opening quarter and fullback Wayne the Wilson drove one yard for a third-quarter score.

Stabler, the most successful Monday Night quarterback in NFI history coming into the game, fell to 11-3-1 in the nationally televised show came as New Orleans slipped to 0-0 on Monday night. The Saints are 0-0 this season.

Freeman McNeil, the league's leading rusher last season, expected to see only limited duty because of a .