Velluci Visits Sister Cities

Mayor Alfred E. Vellucci could be described as missing in action. Coming off his best finish in 15 elections, the veteran city councilor is taking a three-week working vacation visiting two of Cambridge's sister cities.

"It's technically a vacation because it's privately financed," explained Richard McKinnon, executive assistant to Vellucci. He added that the mayor is currently in Coimbra. Portugal, and will travel to Gaeta. Italy later this week for a 10-day stay. Vellucci will return to the United States December 4, in time for the next city council meeting.

But the trip has already meant work for the East Cambridge resident. In keeping with his commitment to mutual aid between the sibling cities. Vellucci this week sent a telegram from Coimbra to Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54 (D-Mass.) asking for relief for the town, which has been ravaged by recent floods.

"The mayor's paying out his pocket," McKinnon said, adding that the trip would cost "several thousand dollars."

Vellucci probably won't be the only one spending money. When Gaeta Mayor Quirino Lecesse visited Cambridge in September, he told the city council that his town had allotted 10 million lira (about $6500) to entertain Cambridge officials travelling to Italy.