Jets Embarrass Patriots, 26-3

By From WIRE Reports

NEW YORK--Richard Todd fired two touchdown passes to Wesley Walker, including a tie-breaking 64-yard bomb in the third period, to lift the New York Jets over the punch less New England Patriots, 26-3, yesterday.

A tough New York defense, keyed by three sacks of rookie quarterback Tony Eason by Mark Gastineau, shut down the Patriots' running game which was ranked No. 1 in the NFL and had hurt the Jets earlier in a 23-13 New England victory.

Humiliation

Tony Collins, New England's leading rusher who had a club record 212 yards in the Pats' earlier victory over the Jets, was held to just 22 yards on 18 carries.

Todd's first TD pass to Walker came on that electrifying 64-yarder on the Jets' first possession of the third quarter and broke a 3-3 tie.

After Pat Leahy kicked two of his four field goals in the third period to give New York a 16-3 lead, the Jets put the game away with another TD pass from Todd to Walker for eight yards early in the fourth period.

Leahy added the finishing touches with his fourth field goal of the day, a 19-yarder with 5:56 remaining in the game. Until the Jets' 23-point explosion in the second half, the only scores of the game had come on a first-quarter field goal by Leahy and a three-pointer at the start of the second half by New England's Fred Steinfort.