...and School Committee

Throughout the campaign, candidates for the Cambridge School Committee have said they will strive to end the circus-like atmosphere that has dominated the body's proceedings for several years. If they live up to this promise, city schools, will surely run more smoothly. Many of the concerns voiced in the national debate over public education should hit home in Cambridge, and the Committee should work toward solutions to classroom problems rather than straying into personal feuds.

Voters can send the committee a message to this effect in today's election. In the city's system of proportional representation, voting the number 1 is the most important, and students registered to vote in Cambridge should consider challenger Fran Cooper for this selection.

Undergraduates may be tempted to support David Connolly '85, a Winthrop House resident, as a favorite son. But through the weeks of stumping. Cooper stood above the field with plans to keep quality teachers in the classroom.

Two other candidates should also be considered for PR votes. Henrietta Attles and Glen S. Koocher '71 were "disendorsed" by the Cambridge Civic Association this summer. But political in-fighting does not detract from the fine records both have compiled as incumbents.