Booters Smother UMass, 2-0

Crimson Sails in Calm Between Storms

By Benjamin R. Reder

Playing a mediocre team is a real letdown after doing battle with one of the country's top squads. But the men's soccer team measured up, or rather down to the challenge, whipping the University of Massachusetts, 2-0 in Amherst.

Saturday's 2-1 loss to powerhouse Hartwick--when Captain Leo Lanzillo said, "You know you were playing soccer"--brought out the best in the Crimson, but the booters were unable to sustain the same level of play against the slow, lifeless Minutemen.

Nevertheless, their performance was more than adequate to best their hosts.

"The game was never in doubt," Lanzillo said. Thirty-three second into the match Glen Brack hit a chip 25 yards into the penalty area, where Harvard scoring leader John Catliff chested the ball down and drilled it into the twines. UMass hadn't even touched the ball yet.

Salvation Army

The Crimson defense prevented its opponent from penetrating past midfield and Harvard goalie Matt Ginsburg was forced to make only two stops, though both were testing saves.

Since the Minuteman lacked both skill and spirit, the Crimson "didn't feel a sense of urgency," as Lanzillo said, and played at UMass's level--"slow and without sparks."

Five minutes into the second half, Catliff took the ball on the right side of the midfield stripe and lofted a long pass to Jay Hooper at the 20, who beat the UMass goalie with a low blast to the short side. It was the senior midfielder's first varsity goal and the last tally of the match, as the Crimson maintained control of the slow-paced game.

Harvard forward Lane Kenworthy said, "We did not have our best game, and should have beaten [UMass] a little worse," but added that "it was good to have a shutout...only our second one of the year."

The booters will have to be back on the ball Saturday morning when they take on a tough Pennsylvania squad at Ohiri Field, in their last home match of the season.