Let Them Choose

DISSENTING OPINION

HARVARD HAS no business supporting organizations that are not open to all students in the College. As the majority editorial correctly asserts, the final clubs make no pretensions to such egalitarianism and consequently deserve to have all connections with official Harvard severed.

But the majority also asserts that the University should formalize this rejection of official support for the clubs in a document distributed yearly across the campus. Such a course of action would effectively put the University in a position of official, and insistent, opposition to the clubs.

This would be wrong. Harvard students are free to make their own decisions about what they will do in their spare time. They should not fear any official disapproval of private decisions.

To stigmatize organizations with a stamp of disapproval simply because they are selective is a dangerous precedent that the University should not set. Cut the ties, but let people choose to join or not to join in peace. George S. Canellos Peter J. Howe Ji H. Min Marie B. Morris Robert M. Neer