Sudden Death for Huskies: Icemen Down N.U. in OT, 4-3

By Jim Silver

The Harvard hockey team was the hottest in the East going into last night's game at Northeasters. And the Crimson, winners of its previous four ECAC contests, was facing an 8-9-1 squad which had lost its last two. So Harvard won again, right?

First consider that it was a life-or-death contest for Northeasters, last year's ECAC champions; a loss would eliminate them from the playoff scene, while Harvard was virtually assured of post-season action. So the Huskies gave the Crimson one of its toughest games of the season, right?

Yes and you, Northeastern frustrated he visitors with hitting and peaky forechecking all night long, but Harvard landed on top, 4-3, on Greg Britz's 7:26 overtime goal.

The outcome carried great consequences for the playoff hopes on Both teams. The Huskies, now 8-10-1 in die the ECAC, can only play out the string in the final two games. Harvard, on the other kind, clinched the Ivy Division title on home ice in the quarterfinals (see ticket information is scoreboard): with two games left to play the Crimson leads second-place Yale by these games.

The final score was almost the only satisfying aspect of the contest for Harvard. From the start, the game was played the way Northeastern likes is--bump-and--grind hockey, chocked with lots of bodychecks (and a few cheap shots). In one of the ECAC's smallest rinks, the Crimson never succeeded in playing the fast-skating game it thrives on.

The Huskies served notice that they would be less-than-courteous hosts in the first few minutes of the game, when defenseman Craig Frank mowed down Harvard goalie Grant Blair as he tried to freeze the puck after a save. The Crimson responded with its own steady hitting for the rest of the evening.

Loquacity

Neil Sheehy, who had several unfriendly chats with the Huskies late in the third period, said intimation is part of Northeastern's game plan. "They just like to talk a lot," he said afterwards, adding. "We've got some big guys who can yap just as much as they can."

Northeastern followed its early hitting with the game's first goal, a power-play blast off Captain Glen Giovanucci's stick which Blair bobbled three times before letting it slip into the net.

But Harvard, after being outplayed in the first period, escaped with an even 1-1 score after Ken Code sent Shayne Kukulowicz in alone on the Husky goal in the final seconds. The junior winger deked once and lifted the disc over the flopping Husky net minder, Tim Marshall. Barter

The teams traded goals again in the middle stanza Northeastern's leading scorer, Ken Manchurek, smacked one past Blair on another Husky power play (N.U. had five advantages in the game. Harvard six) Code responded with a low a slapper from the point just 80 seconds later.

Harvard took its first lead of the game in the late minutes of the hard-fought third period. With Northeastern blueliner Maurizio Pasinato in the box for tripping Scott Fusco behind the Husky net. Tony Visone found linemate Greg Chalmers at the doorstep, and the sophomore center put it away for a 3-2 lead.

With its season on the line, the Huskies came back with intense pressure in the final minutes, which paid off just as Marshall was about to be pulled for an extra skater. Rod Isbister slammed a pass from Giovanucci high into the net with just 53 left in regulation.

But the Visone-Britz-Chalmers line struck for the winner in the extra session. After both teams had good chances, Visone shot one off the crossbar behind Marshall. With the rebound still bouncing in front, Britz poked it in for the game-winner.

THE NOTEBOOK: The win raised Harvard's record to 16-7-1 overall, 14-4-1 in the ECAC. The Crimson closes out its regular season with games at Brown. Friday, and at Princeton, Sunday. At Boston Arena Harvard  1  1  1  1--4 Northeastern  1  1  1  0-3

N. Glen Giovanucci (Rod Isbister, Ken Manchurek) 15:33; H. Shayne Kukulowicz (Scott Fusco, Ken Code) 19:54; N. Manchurek (Jim Averill) 6:04; H. Code (Dave Connors, Phil Falcone) 7:24; H. Greg Chalmers (Tony Visone, Kukulowicz) 13:53; N. Ibister (Giovanucci, Brad Cowie) 19:07; H. Greg Britz (Visone, Chalmers) 7:26.

Saves: H. Grant Blair, 11-7-5.5--28; N. Tim Marshall, 8-10-15--36.

Att:2250.

Att:2250.