Unbetan Aquamen Curb Bulldogs To Take Sixth Eastern League Title

By L. JOSEPH Garcia

Hal S. Ulen couldn't help but be jenous. Harvard's first men's swimming coach ended his 20-year career with an 82 percent average against then arch rival Yale his greatest win coming in 1937 when his squad ended the Elis 164 meet winning streak.

Coach Joe Bernal, the Crimson's current mentor, kept his six year record a perfect 100 percent against the Bulldogs, as the aquamen escaped some early meet scares to sink Yale 82-31, Saturday at Blodgett Pool. With the victory, Harvard took home the first annual Ulen Cup, award to the winner of the meet.

Sending the Bulldogs home yelping also capped the Crimson's fifth consecutive undefeated season in the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming League (EISL) and clinched its sixth straight EISL, championship. The win continued Harvard's own 31-meet winning streak, still currently the longest in NCAA division 1 swimming.

But the Crimson's win came a Hale together then meet most this season. Visible only in his absence was senior Captain Ted Chappell sidelined from his last Biodgett appearance by an interstinal infection.

Senior Tom Verdin filled Chappell's spot as anchor on the opening 400 medely relay sealing a Crimson win in 3:28.81. The Leverest House resident came back in the 200 IM to grab individual win with a 1:56.33 clocking.

Verdin said Saturday Chappell's illness helped inspire his clutch performance. "It does add that extra bit of preasure," he explained. "He's so versatile we can put him in anything and he'll come through."

The aquamen's momentum was short lived as Yale came back in the following two events to give Harvard its closest call at home this season. In the 1000 free, Eli senior Mark Loftis battled Courtney Roberts for 40 pool lengths, editing out a 1/100 of a second win a lesser margin than that of the victor in both sprint events-in 9:29,38.

With the 200 free next, the Crimson could't count on Chappell to appear in the fireplug role he has filled since the arrival of freshman destance specialist Tim Ford relieved him from the 1000 in mid-January.

In his place came junior Mike Miso, University record holder in the 50 and 100 free but out of action since early December with a recurring shoulder injury. Confused by what he thought was a signalled false start, Miso couldn't catch Yale's Jason Green, who kept the Elis rolling with the 1:42.52 win.

"I wasn't worried, but I wanted to get back in control of the meet," Bernal said Saturday. "These are talented swimmers Yale has they're a dangerous group."

Harvard did regain control-capturing first place finishes in the next six events and sweeping up second in all six for good measure. Included in the string were double wins by sophomore Can Watson on the one and three meter boards, an phenomenal 100 free clocking by junior Boo Tyler to edge teammate Miso in 46-83, and a one-two sweep by freshman Peter Egan and Dave Lubitiz in the 200 fly-a Chappell specialty.

THE NOTEBOOK: The win leaves Bernal's record at Harvard at 58-1 (.983)...President Bok and his son Tom were part of an all-star audience of more than 250. Included were Atheletic Director Jack Raadron '60, 27 of Ulen's former swimmers present to dedicate the cup and former swimmers Booby Hackett and Jack Gauthier...Bok to Bernal before the meet. "My daughter swims for Yale and I'll never have a moment's rest if we win this meet."