Harvard's High-Scoring Siblings

The Fusco Brothers

By John D. Solomon

In the novel Love Story, the bartender of a former Harvard Square drinkery. Cronin's, toasts the Crimson's top hockey player at the time. Oliver Barrett, caling him "the best Harvard hockey player since the Cleary brothers." If a sequel were written now, a Boathouse publican might well toast Mark and Scott Fusco as "the best Harvard hockey players since Oliver Barrett."

For both senior Mark, a two-time All-American, and sophomore Scott, runner-up in last year's ECAC Rookie of the Year balloting and among this year's conference scoring leaders, have had success similar to that of the Cleary duo which dominated the rink over 20 years ago.

The person in the best position to judge is Bill Cleary '56, who not only is one of those Cleary brothers but also coaches Mark and Scott on the current Crimson team.

Their records speak for themselves," Cleary says. "They have done a tremendous job for us."

The Fuscos hope their emulation of the Clearys doesn't end at the collegiate level. Both Mark and Scott have their eyes on spending a couple of weeks in Sarajevo. Yugoslavia for the 1984 Olympic games.

"I would hope that they both have that opportunity they certainly have the ability to play at whatever level they want to says Cleary who started for both the 1956 and the gold medal winning 1960 U.S. Olympic squads.

Although they have had no indication from any hockey officials, the Fuscos hope to be among the 80 players invited to the National Sports Festival in June From that pool a final team will be selected to train until the Olympics.

"I'd rather play in the Olympics than anywhere else," Scott says. "If I never played again after the Olympics I would be satisfied," adds the sophomore, who would have to take at least a semester off to play.

But for both brothers there could be a hockey future beyond the Olympics. The New Jersey Devils drafted Scott in the 11th round and then traded his rights to the Hartford Whalers. He says he wants to play professional hockey but only after he finishes college, adding that the Whalers understand they won't be able to lure him out of Bright Center until graduation.

As for Mark, he wasn't drafted and so becomes a free agent after the season. The senior defenseman thinks that most pro squads will be watching whether he makes the Olympic team before they start eyeing him seriously.

"I think a few months with the Olympic team could improve my hockey and my chances of getting into the pros," he comments.

One of those rooting hardest for the Fuscos to gain Olympic berths is Boston University Coach Jack Parker. "Mark's gone [by 1984], but I hope Scott makes the squad so he won't be playing against me," he jokes, adding more seriously. "You cannot tell how really good they are unless you really know the game."

If Mark and Scott do join the national team together, it would be the third time the duo has been paired on the same organized squad (after Harvard and Belmont Hill School). Their teamwork started when their father constructed a 40-ft by 70-ft rink in the backyard of the Fusco's Burlington, Mass home.

Every winter day they would go back and practice, learning each other's moves and idiosyncracies on the ice. The brothers would also watch each other's junior games, which further helped each learn his sibling's style of play.

"We work better together because we know each other better and have a lot of confidence in each other which comes with all the practicing we did." Mark says.

Scott adds. For instance, if Mark has the puck I might do something that I wouldn't do with someone else."

Their closeness hasn't always helped, though. Mark remembers Scott's rookie season last year: "At first. I kept an eye on Scott, but then I got a few dumb penalties because of it. Anyway, after a few games he could take care of himself."

Scott agrees that he can fight his own battles, including the frequent turf fights he has with defensemen around the net. "I know I'm going to get hits--some clean, most not. I might as well get a pass off or get a good shot."

Hand in hand with brotherly on-ice camaraderie goes sibling rivalry. Both Fuscos admit to a certain competitiveness which materialized during last year's National Sports Festival in Indianapolis--the first time the brothers had ever opposed each other in an organized game.

"At the Sports Festival, we really had it at each other pretty good." Scott says, "I was not out just to beat him, but there is no way that he wants me to go around him."

Mark counters. "There's an way that I'm going to let Scott get around me to the goal. When we played against each other he never got by me. Scott thought I gave him a cheap shot in the corner, but I didn't," he adds.

Teammate Dave Bulke, who played with Mark at Belmont Hill, sees a natural competitiveness between the Fuscos. "They go hard one in paretice, but it's definitely for the better." Burke says.

The brothers enjoy their pairings on power plays and shorthanded situations. Mark attributes their ability to work so well in those key assignments to all the work they did in their backyard rink. Scott, who has tallied a league leading four shorthanded goals this season, says that being one man down is his favorite situation, "because no one's expecting you to score and you're out there alone."

As their statistics improve, so does the quantity of abuse they receive from opposing teams' fans. Both brothers say they don't mind the added attention from unfriendly fans, but they add that there in nothing better than shutting up a mostly hostile crowd with a goal.

Their father, who has "only raised a few games home and away in the last four years," says he doesn't really notice the verbal abuse from the crowd but does "not like at all the physical pounding that Scott takes in front,"--though he adds. "There's not a lot I can do."

The eldest Funco is glad that both his sons decided to attend the same school, for he doubts whether he could stand two years of interfamily contests. He attended last year's Sports Festival, "but wouldn't like to go through that very often."

Watching the Beanpot is nothing new for the Fusco clan. Father and sons used to go to the Garden, a fact that gives the tournament extra special meaning for the due. The attraction of the Beanpot was one of the reasons both close Harvard over other Ivy League schools. Mark says he rooted for the Crimson throughout his youth "for no real reason." has Scott claims he had no favorites and pulled only for the individuals that be knew.

In addition to the goal of captaining the 'pot, the Fuscos and their teasers know there is a subplot--the Crimson's attempt to avenge a 10-4 drubbing at the hands of first-round opponent Boston College in January. As Mark says. "I think we have a few debts to pay off. I am going to enjoy doing that on Monday."