Social Security

Short Takes

A congressional conference committee yesterday evening eliminated a provision in a Social Security bill which would have cost the University $200,000.

Conferees took out a section of the bill which would have increased the tax that an employer has to pay into the Private Pension Fund, which would have affected the plans which Harvard faculty have with the University.

An effort against the bill by the insurance groups and universities, including Harvard, helped out the proposal out of the final congressional bill. Nan Nixon, a director of Governmental Relations for the University said yesterday.

"There are few Congressmen who want to pull the trigger on American higher education," added Parker I Coddington, another Harvard director of Governmental Relations.

Nixon said that a special group of Washington pension tax lawyers from Harvard's law firm. Ropes and Gray, had analyzed the proposed changes to the tax code and the University had expressed their "concern".

The bill is expected to be passed by the full House of Representatives and Senate today and to be signed immediately by President Reagan.