Truman Scholars

Short Takes

Three Harvard students have captured the prestigious Harry S. Truman Scholarship for 1983 awarded annually to sophomores interested in a public service career.

William Kealey '85, Luis Ubinas '85, and Margaret A. Jacobs '85 captured the award which carries with it an annual scholarship of $5000 for their last two undergraduate years and two years of graduate school. Mary S. Humes '85 earned alternate status.

The selection committee chose one applicant from each state and then added 52 at-large winners using a regional population formula Harvard nominated four sophomores for the committee after a two-month selection process.

Although the prize is to encourage the students towards a career in government, and each of the winners expressed an intent to go into law or politics, Kealey is a History of Science concentrator and Jacobs majors in History and Literature.

"It's really important to realize the diversity of applications possible," Kealey said, adding. "I would never have looked twice if my tutor hadn't strongly encouraged it."

Very Collegiate

Ubinas said yesterday that he is contemplating going into local New York City politics when he gets out of graduate school, adding. "It's a nice incentive system and around bill time it helps a lot."

Truman Foundation President Malcolm McCormick called this year's crop of winners "outstanding," and added that the Foundation was hoping this year to add a newsletter in order to set up a network among the winners.

The scholars will travel May 8 to Independence, Mo., the site of the Truman Memorial Library, to be officially honored.