University Guard Faces Rape Charge

By Andrew C. Karp

A 22-year-old Harvard security guard faces charges of raping a co-worker at the Fogg Art Museum 11 days ago.

Robert E. Mason of Everett was arraigned in Middlesex Third District Court yesterday on a rape charge that carries a penalty of up to 20 years in state prison. He has worked as a full-time guard for the University since November 1981

Mason allegedly raped another guard after he came on duty at the Fogg at 12 a.m. on April 2. The female guard reportedly had been on duty until midnight.

Mason, who could not be reached for comment was released yesterday on $1000 surety bail. District Court officials said he intends to hire his own attorney, but has not yet done so. A trial is scheduled for April 22.

Suspension

University Police Chief Saul L. Chafin said yesterday he suspended Mason from duty without pay April 4, after a preliminary investigation by the University Police. After further investigation, a district court warrant for Mason's arrest was issued yesterday.

Chafin declined to identify the alleged victim. He said, however, that she remains on active duty.

This incident should not reflect on other employees in the department, whether they're police officers or guards," Chafin said yesterday

"There is no need for anyone to have any fear whatsoever," he said, because the alleged rape did not involve students.

Guards

About 40 security guards are employed by Harvard Chafin said. They patrol areas such as the museums. Houses, and the Yard "to be the eyes and cars of the police department," he said. They "protect students, check for fires, and watch for strangers," Chafin said.

Mason had no previous work-related problems or criminal record, Chafin said. Prospective security employees undergo examination of their past work experience and personal background, although the check is "somewhat less than that of a police officer because of the scope of the job," Chafin said.