Support the Escrow Fund

CLASS GIFT

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Suggest to someone the Endowment or Divestiture (the name of the South Africa encrow fund set up by the Undergraduate Council), and you might hear this. "Why give to the eserow fund? My money doesn't support apartheid. The senior gift goes to Harvard scholarships, part of the FAS, not to the Corporation at all."

This reasoning, given by the Alumni Office to Senior Class Gift Agents, and by agents to any senior concerned about Harvard's investment policy, misses the point of the Endowment for Divestiture. By giving to the escrow fund, you actively show the Corporation, and your fellow students and alumni, that you want to make a more socially responsible Harvard. That your gift to the College won't wind up in South Africa doesn't change things--most Harvard/Radcliffe seniors have a social conciousness that goes beyond worrying how their particular dollars get spent.

So long as Hugh Calkins of the Corporation can insist that Harvard won't take ethical issues into account in its investments, we have to show our active opposition. The Endowment for Divestiture is a powerful, contructive way to show your support of Harvard and oppose an amoral investment policy the Alumni Office misses the point--the question will never be how many of our dollars go to South Africa. The real issue underlying the Endowment for Divestiture is how long Harvard will continue to look the other way while profiting from apartheid. Todd Collius '83   Member, Endowment for Divestiture   Senior Dountions Committee