Donahue

Short Takes

Phil Donahue, the nationally popular talk-show host, came to the law school last night and told a crowd of more than 500, "Boy, you all look a lot thinner in person."

Appearing at Pound Hall as part of the Law School Forum series, before a predominantly female audience. Donahue urged the aspiring attorneys to sue a variety of institutions, including the makers of the Standardized Aptitude Test and the Roman Catholic church.

They want to halt abortion and birth control, but only to curb nuclear weapons," Donahue said, alluding to a recent recommendation from the National Conference of Catholic Bishops.

The talk-show host also urged that the nation's draft registration age be raised to 28, underscoring, after a subsequent question from the audience, that he was very serious about that recommendation.

These kids still have pimples--there's no way for most of them to make an informed choice about going to war" he said.

Regarding his position against the SAT Donahue recalled that in elementary school he was a bluebird--a slow reader--not an eagle and that he would never have scored well on standardized tests.

Donahue drew especially loud laughter from the audience when he declared himself a feminist but said of his upbringing. "We certainly didn't respect women from the waist up. He called the women's movement "almost revolutionary, but emphasized that sexism is far from being eliminated in the United States.

Other Law School Forum speakers this year have included Zbigniew Brzezinski, former President Jimmy Carter's national security advisor and the 1980 independent presidential candidate John Anderson.