Weather Report

Astrolaibe

By Constance M. Laibe

Although April showers allegedly draw the flowers up out of the ground, they also send a lot of spring teams scurrying for shelter and hunting for rescheduling time.

In what has been one of the wettest seasons on record for much of the Atlantic Seaboard. Boston has received its fair share of gray, days and torrential downpours. For some teams, rainy weather just moves practice or the meet indoors For others, it's "Play On" But for a few, it is unclear just what constitutes bad weather.

Witness the golf team. They showed up at Braeburn Country Club in Newton yesterday, ready to take on area colleges in the Greater Boston Championships. They waited in the rain for anyone wearing an Eagle, an Engineer or a Jumbo uniform to appear But all they met was the club professional, who advised them that the match had been postponed.

Golf is one sport that cannot usually be moved indoors. As a result, golfers grow accustomed to playing in conditions most would term abysmal. "We've gotten to the point where we're so cynical about the weather." Captain Steve Baker commented, "we just assumed we were still going to play."

There is still no word on when the GBC's will be held, but meanwhile the Crimson golfers anticipate a tough match against Williams and Holy Cross tomorrow. It will be easy for Harvard fans to tell which team to follow, even though the players become mere specks on the fairway after the first tee shot. The Crimson golfers will be the only ones not wearing purple.

In light of Monday's marathon, it seems that running has hit full stride again in the Boston area. This is the time to pull out the running stories, not as cautionary tales, but just as something to think about while cruising along the Charles or charging over the hills at Fresh Pond.

Probably the best story is still the one featuring the dedicated runner, alone in a crowd of unbelievers. Everyone has his or her own legend about "I remember when I was running and... "The ending is often violent, in which the runner is pelted with unwelcome objects by gangs of philistines. Often verbal slurs are shouted at the runner from moving vehicles. In extreme hate cases, the moving vehicles are used to intimidate the runner.

The funniest running story yet to cross this desk is an improvement on that prototype. While in Nepal last year, a Harvard Anthro major decided to go for a relaxing little run. However, Bouhda, Nepal had never before been exposed to this exercise form, and when she took off down the main street, the entire village started running after her, thinking there was some sort of emergency.

Makes you wonder sometimes.