Harvard Sweeps Doubles Matches, Downs Elis, 6-3, to Insure NCAA Bid

Yale's Layendecker Upsets First Seed Sands

By Carla D. Williams

When Yale comes to play Harvard in tennis, all the diehard tennis fans show up--even the Yalies now at Harvard Med who are tied forever to their hate for the Crimson.

Yesterday afternoon was no exception, as a heated debate broke out in the stands while the Eastern Association's two undefeated teams fought an equally heated battle on the courts. The teams went indoors for doubles play with the score deadlocked at 3-3 before the Crimson swept the doubles and took the match, 6-3.

The win over the Elis brings the Crimson record to 12-5, (5-0 Ivies). Yale defeated Princeton, so the win may seal Harvard a berth in the NCAA tourney. Today's match against Brown though will not be an easy win.

Harvard came out on top in less than 45 minutes, when it won both first and second doubles to take the match Nearly a half hour later, the third doubles pair also took its win from the Elis, for a 6-3 Harvard victory.

But the real clutch moments began outdoors, on the soon-to-be-dedicated Beren Tennis Center Courts.

The first surprise came in the contest between first seed Howard Sands and Eli Glenn Layendecker Sands, currently ranked eighth in the nation, faced 39th-ranked Layendecker, an opponent who had beaten him earlier this year.

A strong, lanky player, Layendecker played a lefthander's game and relied heavily on a powerful, well directed serve Reflex action net play also kept Sands moving Layendecker's long arms helped him cover the court space and when Sands broke his net play with high lobs. Layendecker reached high into the air too and slammed the ball off the court.

Sands expected to play Martin Wertenholme, who alternates with Layendecker at first seed. After preparing for Wertenholme. Sands was surprised at his opponent.

"Howard had been preparing for a different player all week. His whole game was thrown off." Harvard Coach Dave Fish said. "He doesn't play as well against Layendecker."

Layendecker took the first set, 7-5, but Sands came back, moving quickly with his feet and making some of the much-needed clutch shots past the Eli's reaching arms at the net. Just when Layendecker seemed to settle back and enjoy himself. Sands made it very hard for him to do so. The Eli became frustrated and began a process of self-castigation, which was punctuated with tosses of his tennis racquet towards the ground. Sands' play continued to thrive although the Eli continually challenged him. In a tiebreaker set. Sands took control, 7-6.

As if inspired by Sands' play, the Eli then shifted his strategy his selfdirected cruelty to shots more dangerous to Sands. He became particularly fond of a frontcourt cross forehand drop that would roll immediately out of Sands' reach. His serve, though inconsistent, also plagued the recently unchallenged Crimson first seed. He got down in the third set early as Layendecker won, 6-4. And it was Sands who threw his racquet.

Sands felt that he was flat during the match and has been since last week. "I missed this week because I've been feeling somewhat ill," he said after the match "I may not play against Brown."

After Sands loss, the attention was centered on netman Dave Beckman, who was also very frustrated with his play. Both he and his opponent screamed at themselves and one another, and threw their racquets on the ground Beckman played a strong game in the first set against Eli Mike Revanl, hitting a number of awesome passing shots down the right and left baseline.

But in the second set, Revnal came on much stronger, throwing off Beckman's concentration. After the Eli took that set, 6-2, the match came down to tiebreaker contest. Revnal won the first two points, as Beckman stuggled to return his handcuffing serves. Revnal, however, had the same problem with Beckman. College Tennis Singles Rankings Rank Player, Team  Points 1. Greg Holmes, Utah  462 2. Paul Annacone, Tennessee  448 T3. Ted Farnsworth, Princeton  384 T3. John Van Nostrand, Pepperdine  384 5. Jonny Levine, Texas  380 6. Christo Steyn, Miami  357 7. Ken Flach, SIU-Edwardsville  355 8. Howard Sands, Harvard  339 9. Rodney Harmon, SMU  336 10. Eric Korita, SMU  326