Senior Speakers

Short Takes

Michael H. Ferris '83 will deliver the traditionally humorous Ivy Oration at this year's Class Day and promises Stephen J. Keeler '83 who chaired the committee that chose Ferris "he'll leave no sacred cow untouched."

The other two seniors speaking at the June 8 exercises will be Kathleen I. Kouril the Radcliffe Orator and Kent Walker, the harvard Orator.

Kouti's speech examines the role of women in the University and the world. Keeler said, terming it "a call to action." Walker's speech declares that "cool detachment will now have to be balanced by more passionate action." Keeler added.

The three seniors were selected last week by a committee of six of their classmates.

But in a new policy all three speeches were subsequently screened by Diane Jellis an administrative assistant with the Harvard Alumini Association and one of Class Day's organizers.

Jellis said yesterday the change came because of complaints about the sexual content of last year's Radcliffe Oration. Following the speech given by Elizabeth Kalodner '82 the University received a number of critical letters and telephone calls from alumni parents and students Jellis said.

Kalodner's speech featured the line "We at Harvard think about sex, talk about sex and have sex just like anyone else," The oration preceded the day's central speech by Mother Teresa who called on students to preserve their virginity until marriage.

This year's main Class Day speaker will be Gary Trueau now on vacation from drawing "Doonesbury".

Kouril and Walker are both Crimson editors Ferris is a former executive of the Harvard Lampoon a club which periodically publishes parodies.

The three student speakers for the June 9 Commencement exercises will be selected Thursday at 4 p.m. in apublic audition in Boylston Auditorium.