Three Join Fast

Short Takes

Three more students have joined the five day-old fast in protest of Harvard's investments in firms doing business with South Africa and Vice President and General Consul Daniel Steiner '54 has indicated that he is willing to meer with three other students who have gone without food since Monday, fast spokesman Barry S. Zellen '84 said yesterday.

This brings the number of fasters to 17, including Professor of Biology Richard Leowontin who announced on Thursday that he would join the protest.

In addition individual protestors are planning to make appointments to meet with President Bok and Corporation members faster Abner A. Mason 85 said yesterday.

"We don't believe that Bok is immoral, but we think that he has lost perspective on the issue [of investing Harvard's $2 billion endowment]," Mason said.

Steiner yesterday confrimed that he is willing to speak with Zellen and two other students who have sustained themselves on only water and vitamins since Monday, but declined to speculate on the outcome of the meeting.

The new fasters who are sustaining themselves on fruit and water are Susan O. Hardy '83 Susan M. Minter '83-4, and Joseph F. Welch '85.

Thirteen of the students are scheduled to end their fruit-and-water at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, but three plan to continue their no-food fast for as long as they can hold out, or until Harvard makes some move toward divesting from companies doing in South Africa.

The hunger strike is begining to take its toll on the fasters health, as Bell, Zellen and Laura C. Silverman '84 complained of increasing fatigue and discomfort.

Zellen who has lost three pounds this week while drinking 15 glasses of water per day was examined at University Health Services on Thursday and then released.