Electronics Firm, City Discuss Move From Memorial Drive

Officials from a local electronics company and city officials met Friday to discuss the company's threatened move from Cambridge to New Hampshire, Mayor Alfred E. Vellucci said last night.

The Electronics Corporation of America (ECA), located on Memorial Drive near MIT, has been contemplating the move to escape Cambridge's high taxes and to consolidate its operations since January. ECA presently has a large manufacturing plant in New Hampshire.

Cambridge officials have opposed the move as part of their effort to keep large business in the city , saying that the move would cost the city several hundred jobs.

Relations between the two had been strained before Friday's meeting. The city took ECA to court when the company's executives failed to answer a rarely used council subpoena and had threatened to rezone the company's building to allow only low and moderate-income housing in it. The restriction would have made it difficult for ECA to sell the building by limiting the number of potential buyers.

But in a letter to Vellucci, which the mayor presented at last night's city council meeting, ECA President Arthur G.B. Metcalf said after the meeting he believes "the interests of the City of Cambridge and ECA coincide."

Metcalf said the ECA building was not the best use of its choice Memorial Drive location, and that the area could be developed for much-needed office and condominium space.

He added that another use of the Memorial Drive building would "increase tax revenues, create additional jobs...and provide a proud architectural statement for the City."

Metcalf denied city charges that the ECA move would result in high unemployment. He said only 24 employees live in Cambridge.

Although no definite plans developed from the meeting, Vellucci said he was pleased that the groups are talking. "I believe we can now work together on all areas of mutual interest," he said.