Beaten

Short Takes

The new-wave rock band English Beat will not be able to play Briggs Cage this spring, as the Undergraduate Council had hoped, because their booking schedule is full.

The Council's social committee was tentatively planning to sponsor a campus concert this spring.

After a bid to the English Beat was rejected, plans for the concert were tabled until next fall at the earliest. Council Chairman Sesha Pratap '84 said yesterday.

Steven H. Black '84, chairman of the social committee, yesterday attributed the Council's inability to hire the Beat to inexperience and inadequate planning.

"We were foolish in thinking we could get a really hot band at this late date." Black added.

The Council's liaison to the Beat's booking agent was James Barber, music director of WHRB Barber said that by the time the Council was ready to put in a bid for the group, it was already scheduled to play five other nights directly before and after the date requested.

Council members subsequently discussed alternate hands, including the Psychadelic Furs, but decided that none of them were likely to be popular enough among Harvard students to justify arranging a concert.

The Council will attempt to hold a new concert but not this spring. Pratap said, "It's better to wait till the fall, when we can hold a very successful and popular concert," he said, explaining that there is not enough time left this spring to attempt to plan a new event.

Two other events the social committee has organized this semester will occur as planned. Black said. On April 16 two student hands will play at a dance in the Freshman Union, co-sponsored by the Radcliffe Union of Students.

In addition the Council plans a picnic on the triangle between Eliot. Winthrop, and Kirkland House for either April 22 or 23.